Moving to the UK with Your Fiancée

If you’re planning to marry a British national but haven’t quite got round to the ceremony yet (or maybe you want to get married in the UK), this visa is for you. You can be the fiancé or proposed civil partner of a British citizen to qualify for this visa.


Start your Assessment Here

What are the Requirements?

Your intended must be a British citizen in the UK, or present and settled in the UK at the time of your application. You must also both be over the age of 18 and not related to each other in a way that would revoke your right to marry in the UK.

You must be able to show immigration officials that you have met in person (so it can’t be a purely internet-based relationship), and that your relationship is ‘genuine and subsisting’. As part of the latter, you may need to attend an interview where you are separately questioned about your partner and relationship to establish whether the relationship is genuine.

As part of your application, you need to be looking to enter the UK to marry or have your civil union, and you must plan to live together permanently in the UK.

Once you have proven your relationship and intentions, you must also show that you can live in the UK and support yourself. This includes showing that you have sufficient English language skills to live in the UK, and that your partner fulfils the financial requirements to show that they can support you.

As part of the financial requirements, your partner must demonstrate that they have a stable income of at least £18,600. If they plan to sponsor your children, this will rise to £22,400 for the first child and then an additional £2,400 for each additional child. The income can be from being employed or self-employed, including income from sources such as rental properties or pensions.

While many fiancés who want to live together in the UK do meet these requirements and have genuine relationships, often they do not know how to present their cases properly to the authorities and therefore aren’t allowed entry to the UK.

If you are invited for interview, your personal consultant will talk through what to expect so that you are adequately prepared, and remember that things that you say can be held against you as well as the things that you don’t.

While your relationship is the one thing that is under the most scrutiny for this visa, your immigration history and criminal record also count towards your application and may prevent you from gaining this visa.

International Travel Documents

Who Isn’t Eligible for a Fiancé Visa?

Under some circumstances, you would not be eligible for this visa. This does not mean that you can’t come to the UK at all – it simply means that you will need to discuss your situation and intentions with our experts and they will find the best visa for your needs.

You or your partner aren’t eligible for a UK Fiancé Visa if:

  • You are in a relationship but do not intend to get married or register a civil partnership soon after you arrive in the UK
  • You do not intend to stay in the UK for more than 6 months
  • Once of you is from a country in the European Economic Area or Switzerland
  • You are a non-European family member of someone from the European Economic Area or Switzerland
  • You are a British overseas territories citizen

In most of these instances, you can come to the UK on a Partner Visa or another alternative. For the best advice on UK Partner Visas and the highest chances of success, simply speak to our consultants and benefit from almost 20 years’ UK immigration experience.


Start your Assessment Here

Last Updated :March 6, 2014

Please Leave a Comment


Be the first one to Comment

Our Associates Worldwide

  • Britannia Movers International
  • Travelex
  • Torfx
  • Pickfords
  • NAB
  • Barclays
  • Manpower
  • Avis
  • Concordia University Of Alberta