885 Visa for Australia
Please note that this visa is no longer available. The visa option was removed in 2012, and now all Skilled Worker Visa applications must go through visas involved in the SkillSelect program. Please see our page to find out more about your options.
Alternatively, you can speak to one of our consultants. We always have the latest visa information to hand to ensure that you are making the right application for you, and the right application for the Australian government to consider. Our experts will look at your situation, skills, and experience to offer you the solution that will get you to Australia as quickly as possible.
The Skilled Independent Visas for Australia (885)
Sponsorship by an employer or region is not the only option for overseas students interested in permanent immigration to Australia and finding employment. Subclass 885 visas grant permanent residency to independent applicants who are judged to have the necessary characteristics for the Australian job market. As with most General Skilled Migration (GSM) visas, a points test system is used to judge the suitability of applicants. Alternatively, the 856 visa may be more appropriate to your circumstances.
Who Can Qualify for 885 Visas?
This type of independent visa is for applicants who are already in Australia and fall into one of these categories:
- Overseas students or former overseas students
- Holders of a Skilled Graduate subclass 485 visas or a Skilled Recognised Graduate subclass 476 visas
- Holders of a Trade Skills Training subclass 471 visas
- To qualify, applicants must also:
- Be under 45 years of age
- Have good English language skills
- Meet the Australian standards for an occupation that is on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and has the right points value (either 50 or 60).
Benefits of 885 Visas
Successful applicants for Australia visas subclass 885 are granted the right to live and work in Australia on a permanent basis. Other benefits include:
- Eligibility for Australian citizenship
- The right to travel to and enter Australia for 5 years from the date the visa was granted
- The right to study in Australia
- The ability to sponsor others for permanent residence
To make sure that you can get this visa quickly and understand all of your obligations under this visa, you need to ensure that you submit a complete application with a compelling case for your acceptance. Our experts have spent almost 20 years doing just that, and will work closely with you to ensure that every last detail of your application is exactly as it should be.